Disclosure and Barring Service
November 13, 2012
On 1 December 2012, CRB is merging with the Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA) to become the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
The DBS was established under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 and will provide a joined up service to combine the criminal records and barring functions.
What will change?
- Re branding: There will be a re branding exercise and the new DBS logo will be introduced to many existing documents.
- Application Form: There are some changes to the application form, certificate and some of the language which is currently used by CRB. Of note, the following questions on the application form will change to help you indicate if the individual you are requesting a disclosure on is in ‘Regulated Activity’ and hence if you can legally ask for information on their barring status
- Question 64 will read “are you entitled to know whether the applicant is barred from working with children?”
- Question 65 will read “are you entitled to know whether the applicant is barred from working with adults?”
What will happen during the transition period?
The service and processes currently provided by the CRB are not changing as a result of the merger.
CRB will continue to deliver their services to customers as normal throughout the transition period and CRB disclosures will continue to remain valid.
When will the changes happen?
- 12 November 2012 New DBS application forms will be supplied to Registered Bodies requesting normal supply
- 1 December 2012 DBS branded certificates will be issued for all checks completed
- 1 March 2013 Only DBS application forms will be accepted for processing
Please Note: You can use your existing CRB application forms up until 28 February 2013, and then you must start using the new style DBS application forms. Therefore you can continue to order your regular stock but note that the new forms will be sent to you in response from 12 November 2012.
There are changes in terminology to note:
- CRB, ISA, VBS
- Standard CRB check
- Enhanced CRB check
- Enhanced CRB check with Barred list check
- ISA Adult First
- Vulnerable Adults V
- Enhanced DBS check
- Enhanced check for Regulated Activity
- DBS Adult First
- Vulnerable Groups
What do you need to do?
- Familiarise yourself with the new application form and communicate to your organisation the changes they need to note
- Ensure you are aware of new terminology and make appropriate references in your material.
You can download a sample new DBS application form below in addition to further documents from CRB on what is changing and how their services to you will be affected.
For more information please Click Here