It is important that your club workforce and volunteers stay up to date. Active Cumbria provide a range of CPD opportunities which are detailed below.
In addition, we work with a wide range of partners to advertise workshops and courses for different activity providers, sports coaches and clubs. Whether you are looking for a course in a specific sport or a more generic workshop, scroll down to see what is available.
Depending on your setting and organisation, you may wish to have a closed course delivered in-house at the location of your choice.
If you would like further information on any of the courses, or if you would like to promote your workshops, training or courses on this website, please Contact Us
Safeguarding & Protecting Children: £35 per person or price on application for closed course.
This workshop - developed in partnership with the NSPCC and Child Protection in Sport Unit (CPSU) - will raise your awareness of the tell-tale signs of abuse, and give you the tools and confidence you need to deal with any issues sensitively, appropriately and effectively.
It will help you recognise poor practice and the red flags of abuse, while also prompting a review of your coaching practice to ensure that you provide a positive and enriching experience for all children.
The guidance and scenarios provided are designed to counteract the latest threats to emerge that could impact on the physical or mental health of children in modern Britain, including being able to:
- Identify and recognise good coaching practice and the implications for your coaching
- Explore your values and feelings in relation to child abuse, and recognise their potential impact on your response
- Recognise and respond to possible signs of child abuse
- Take appropriate action if concerns about a child arise
You will receive a copy of Safeguarding and Protecting Children: A Guide for Sportspeople at the workshop to guide you in your future coaching. Packed full of practical guidance it will help you to deal sensitively and effectively with any issues that arise.
It is recommended that this course is renewed every three years or an online refresher course is available through UK Coaching. Upcoming course dates:
Club Welfare Officer - Time to Listen: on-line workshop
To allow for greater flexibility we are now signposting Club Welfare/ Safeguarding Officers to the new online workshop delivered by UK Coaching. More info here
Time to Listen is a training programme developed by the CPSU specifically for people who have a designated role in safeguarding within a sports setting.
Inclusive Activity programme: Price on application for closed course.
This 3-hour workshop, developed in partnership with Activity Alliance, will equip you with the skills to engage disabled people and people with long-term health conditions more effectively in activities
During the workshop you will:
- Learn about practical tools to support inclusive delivery
- Learn about Activity Alliance’s 10 Principles and how these can be applied to increase participation
- Explore creative ideas to support disabled people to take part in physical activity and sport
- Access a range of resources to support delivery of activity sessions beyond the workshop
- Learn about local opportunities, organisations and further training both for yourself and the disabled people they support.
Mental Health Awareness for Sport & Physical Activity: Price on application for closed course.
This three-hour workshop is designed to give coaches, volunteers, sport administrators and front-of-house staff the confidence to support people with experience of mental health problems to be more active.
It has been developed with the support of UK Coaching, and input from people living with mental health problems and colleagues working in the sport and physical activity sectors. This practical workshop will help you:
- Understand common misconceptions about mental health and the impact of stigma and discrimination
- Identify the positive impact that being active has on physical and mental health
- Appreciate the barriers that stop people getting active
- Talk confidently about mental health
- Know where to signpost people to if they need support
- Identify practical actions to make your service more accessible for everyone
Behaviour Change Tactics: Price on application for closed course
Behaviour change is a series of small steps taken over time as part of a journey. The goal of that journey may be to reverse unhealthy patterns of behaviour, such as an inactive lifestyle.
This workshop will provide you with the tools and tactics to ensure your participants develop and maintain the incentive to create lasting change in their lives.
On the workshop you will:
- Learn Useful strategies to help people get active, and innovative nudge techniques to ensure they stay active.
- Master simple strategies that can influence behaviour and ensure participants keep coming back to sessions and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Identify the individual needs, motivations and goals of participants, and how to tailor your coaching methods to suit them.
Every coach needs to be a good people person, and learning behaviour change tactics in this two-hour workshop package – which includes pre and post-learning activities – will help you significantly hone those softer skills.
Coaching the Person in Front of You: Price on application for closed course
Coaching is all about people. Discover how to be truly person-centred, putting participants’ feelings, thoughts, ambitions and motivations at the heart of everything you do.
This newly-launched workshop will give you a deeper awareness of why great people skills are an intrinsic part of being an effective coach. Ultimately, the more coaches understand and connect with people they coach – by observing, noticing and communicating – the more they will be able to support them and help them thrive.
During the workshop you will learn:
How to develop and model a person-centred philosophy and hone your soft skills to enable you to have the greatest possible impact with your participants.
Strategies and tactics to help you identify a person’s individual needs, motivations and goals using the UNDERSTAND + CONNECT = THRIVE framework.
to become an expert in people so that whatever your objective, you can provide the most engaging experiences for your participants
Emergency First Aid in a Sport/Activity Setting
A comprehensive first aid course delivered over 6 hours and designed to provide training to enable the first aider to reduce the effects of illness and injury suffered by those in a sport setting. Assessment is continual over the duration of the course by the Instructor and is HSE certified. Certification is valid for 3 years.