Mens Health Week 13-19 June 2022
June 13, 2022
This years campaign by the Mens Health Forum is highlighting the difficult time felt by many these past couple of years.
The campaign highlights the need to be at the top of their game, physically and mentally. It's time for men everywhere, to give themselvess an MOT.
Why do men need an MOT?
While we've been focused on the pandemic we've taken our eyes off other serious conditions.
We know early stage cancer diagnoses fell by third in first lockdown and that shortfall has continued. Macmillan reckon that around 50,000 of us have missed a cancer diagnosis during the pandemic. Prostate cancer diagnoses, for example, were down 29% between 2019 and 2020. That's not because prostate cancer is getting rarer (it isn't), but because men weren't seeing their GPs to begin to get diagnosed. Indeed, male GP visits fell more than female visits. There were good reasons for this fall during lockdown but not now.
Meanwhile, NHS Health Checks, which should be offered to most people over 40, were paused during Covid. They should be being restarted (from April 2022).
All of this gives us even more reason to keep an eye on our own bodies and minds and give ourselves an MOT.
Our message to men
It's a simple one: it's time for your MOT.
- Take notice of what's going on in your body and mind.
- Do the Forum's quick and easy DIY Man MOT
- Get yourself a copy of the CAN DO manual which will also be online soon, a FREE download manual collecting together all the great ideas our Men's Health Champions have had for things we can all do to boost our mental wellbeing. (If you'd like to train to be a champion in time for Men's Health Week, you can sign up here for the June Men's Health Champions course.)
- Dig a bit deeper with our existing Man MOT manuals: Man MOT and Man MOT for the Mind.
- Get an NHS Health Check
- Go and see your GP or use NHS 111 if you're concerned about any symptoms
This Men's Health Week, it's time for your MOT.
To find out more please visit the Mens Health Forum website here.
Here in Cumbria we are fortunate to have a fantastic range of activities and sports which welcome men including some dedicated groups. Check out the activity finder for more information