In This Section +
July 17, 2013
Swimming regularly is fantastic for your health, fitness and wellbeing. British Gas SwimBritain is a series of team events taking place across the country in September – are you up for the challenge?
There are many reasons why swimming is a great form of exercise:
- Gentle swimming can burn over 200Kcal in half an hour
- The feeling of swimming in water is refreshing, relaxing and liberating
- Swimming is a low impact, easy on the muscles way to exercise
SwimBritain is a series of 4,000m team swimming relays taking place around Britain this September. Little SwimBritain is a 2,000m team relay option – perfect if you’re not as confident in the pool. Why not come and give an open water style event in an indoor pool a try?
SwimBritain isn’t just a fun way to get in the pool. We’ll be supporting you with in-pool coaching, online training on www.swimbritain.co.uk and at the event itself. Plus, our swimming stars will be on hand to keep you motivated.
David Walliams and a host of other top athletes are SwimBritain champions, check out this video for more information.
Chose from 10 events nationally, the North West event will take place at Manchester Aquatic Centre on the 21st of September 2013
The pool relays are for teams of 4, SwimBritain consists of 4000m between the team, each person swimming 1000m in 4 x 250m sets. Little SwimBritain relays are also for teams of four but the distance is 2000m, each person completing 4 x 125m laps. The Manchester event is offering both SwimBritiain and Little SwimBritain. The relays are timed using chipped timing bands so swimmers can track their performance on the day.
Keri-Anne Payne, World Champion and Olympic Medallist and Olympic medallist Steve Parry will be attending the Manchester Aquatics Centre event. Keri-Anne and Steve will be meeting and greeting the public, performing media interviews, signing autographs and posing for photographs as well as swimming the event.
Preparing for SwimBritain
Participants can take advantage of lots of different support mechanisms to help them to achieve their SwimBritain goals.
- Download and use the 20 training programmes directly from www.swimbritain.co.uk
- Log and track your swimming sessions online
- As part of the entry fee you can access 4 30 minute coaching sessions run by accredited coaches
Once you have signed up for the event, your registration will include the following:
- 4 x 30 minute coaching sessions
- Online tips and swimming technique videos
- A SwimBritain swimming cap
- A SwimBritain timing chip for you to use on the day
- A SwimBritain medal
- A SwimBritain t-shirt
- A chance to swim with a star on the day
How to sign up
To sign up and get involved with this unique event visit www.swimbritain.co.uk, the cost of the event is £60 per team; however British Gas Customers receive a £5 discount as well, just have your account number handy.
Are you up for the challenge?