In This Section +
August 19, 2014
An event celebrating the outstanding talent, commitment and success of Carlisle sportspeople will be held for the fourth year running this autumn.
Following the success of previous events, Carlisle City Council and Carlisle Sports Council is holding the Carlisle Sports Awards on Saturday, 25 October and is asking residents to nominate local sporting stars who have contributed to a local sports club or achieved a high standard in their sport.
The nomination period for the 12 different categories is now open and should refer to sporting excellence between 1 September 2013 and 31 August 2014.
The closing date for nominations is midnight on Monday, 15 September.
Jim Crowe, Chairman of Carlisle Sports Council, said: “We are looking forward to celebrating some of our local sports performances over the past year following on from the outstanding successes in the recent Commonwealth Games by our local sports people. Our awards will celebrate the fantastic work volunteers, coaches and players provide for our local clubs and communities. The support of Carlisle City Council and a host of local sponsors will ensure we acknowledge the quality of our major sports performers and emerging local talent many of whom have already achieved national and international recognition.”
Nomination forms are available here or from the Civic Centre, Carlisle.
The 12 Carlisle Sports Awards categories are:
• JUNIOR PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR – Exceptional Rising Star – sponsored by Cumbrian SPAAF Must be under 18 as at the 31st December (in year of award). Awarded to the person demonstrating the highest achievement within their chosen sport.
• RISING STAR ( 3 awards) – sponsored by Carlisle Sports Council Must be under 18 as at the 31st December (in year of award). Awarded to three talented athletes who have demonstrated their potential through achievements during the last year.
• JUNIOR TEAM OF THE YEAR - Best Team Achievement – sponsored by Carlisle Sports Council Must be under 18 as at the 31st December (in year of award). Awarded to the team demonstrating the highest sporting achievement within their chosen sport.
• TEAM OF THE YEAR - Best Team Achievement – sponsored by McKnight & Son Builders Awarded to the team demonstrating the highest sporting achievement within their chosen sport.
• DISABILITY PERFORMANCE OF THE YEAR - Excelled beyond barriers – sponsored by Carlisle Angling Association Awarded to a person with a disability demonstrating the highest achievement within their sport
• COACH OF THE YEAR - Delivering Exceptional impact – sponsored by Carlisle Squash Club Awarded to the coach that can demonstrate significant impact upon participants at any level during the last year.
• VOLUNTEER OF THE YEAR - Greatest Volunteer Contribution – sponsored by Carlisle City Council Awarded to the volunteer that can demonstrate significant impact to a club, sporting organisation during the last year.
• YOUNG LEADER OF THE YEAR - Extra Talented Leadership – sponsored by NORTECH Communications Must be under 20 as at the 31st December (in year of award). Awarded to the young person who can demonstrate outstanding leadership qualities within sport during the last year.
• SERVICE TO SPORT - Extra Dedicated Service – (up to 3 awards) - sponsored by Active Cumbria Awarded to the person demonstrating outstanding commitment and dedication to sport over a long period of time, be it as a participant, coach, volunteer or official. • SPECIAL AWARD - Extra Special Achievement – sponsored by Riverside Awarded at the discretion of the Judging Panel to an outstanding achievement or nomination not receiving an award in another category.
• PERFORMANCE OF THE YEAR - Best Individual Performance – sponsored by Carlisle Leisure Limited Awarded to the individual or team that has achieved the most outstanding performance during the last year.
• SPORTS PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR - Finest Individual Achievement – sponsored by Cumberland News Awarded to the person demonstrating the highest achievement within their chosen sport.