Menu

In This Section +

24 Hours in the Saddle for Charity

July 10, 2014

25 mountain bike riders are getting ready to ride the trails of Whinlatter Forest non-stop for 24 hours in a bid to raise funds for Charity and the Mountain Bike Club.

The 4th annual 24-hour challenge is fast approaching with students, staff and parents from William Howard School’s Mountain Bike Club making final preparations for ‘Mini Mountain Mayhem’.

Following last year’s road ride challenge (Coast to Coast in 24 hours) attention turns to mountain bikes with the blue and the south red trails the course for the challenge. Riders will be aiming to ride as many laps as possible with the first lap starting at midday on Saturday 12 July and the final lap finishing at around midday on Sunday 13 July.

Riders will enjoy plenty of downhill sections, take it easy on the climbs and ride through the rain, the sunshine, the dark and whatever else the weekend weather has in store.

Students from Year 7 to Year 13 will be riding alongside staff and parents with the lights already on charge in preparation for the nighttime laps.

For the third year running, local charity Eden Valley Hospice will benefit from the students, staff and parents challenging themselves mentally and physically over the 24 hours. 90% of the money raised will be donated to Eden Valley Hospice with the remainder 10% going towards the upkeep of the mountain bike club.

The Challenge would not be possible without volunteers giving up their time to support the event, keeping the riders fuelled and motivated during and the preparation beforehand. WHS MTB Club would like to thank the Forestry Commission who are also supporting the event.

This year the WHS MTB Club have enjoyed 14 rides, including weekends, evening rides in the late evening sunshine and in the dark utilising the lights purchased from last year’s 24 hour fundraising challenge.  William Howard School have also delivered sessions for Primary Schools this year (Castle Carrock and Lees Hill), introducing boys and girls to mountain biking who will be the future Club members! The youngsters learnt and practiced skills on the bike park at school before enjoying a day at Whinlatter on the man-made trails.

With Mini Mountain Mayhem this weekend and the annual Glentress camping and biking trip next week, the end of the year will be a cracker!

You can show your support and donate by clicking on the link: http://www.justgiving.com/whsmtb Riders are also collecting sponsorship money.

Follow the Club on Twitter @WHSMTB